Greetings. I'm a computer programmer and systems architect, currently working at Flow, helping grow our API and production infrastructure.
I experiment a lot in my free time, and the results of that usually end up under the BlackieOps name.
I am an anglophone transplant in Montréal, Québec.
Professionally I get to build, maintain, and deploy software built with…
- Ruby & Rails: the classic monolithic web stack
- Elixir for heavily-concurrent, realtime data and event processing
- Ansible for reliable and scalable server automation.
- Hashicorp Terraform to easily replicate, audit, and document cloud resources.
Personally I tend to drift between languages and environments as my mood shifts.
- Ruby is still the language I am most productive with; for example, this site is a Ruby app.
- Java has a conflicted place in my heart, especially the JVM and servlet containers.
- Elixir powers a number of my larger side projects, but none have yet to be completed.
- Ansible helps me maintain my surprisingly-expansive personal infrastructure.
My past experience lends itself to some fun stories and rants…
- Chef was my first experience with automation, before Ansible. Chef is the reason I tried Ansible.
- PHP was my first "backend" programming language. I wrote many (probably insecure) web apps back in early days of my career.
- WordPress was a large part of the beginning of my career, though I'm useless with it now.